Help ensure the health of the Chattanooga Parks system by assisting with light maintenance activities, reporting maintenance needs and suspicious activity, and encourage an overall positive use of public space. Park Stewards can choose a park to "steward" and are asked to commit to visiting their park twice a month for a year.
Examples of Duties
- Maintenance efforts will be tailored to your adopted park and may include:
- Picking up litter, limbs, and debris.
- Clearing hard surfaces (parking areas, paths, pavilions, etc.) of dirt, sand, and rocks.
- Cleaning benches, picnic tables, and signs (occasional re-painting).
- Light landscaping, such as pulling weeds and adding mulch.
- Removing vegetation to maintain a clear corridor on walking paths.
- Checking trees, shrubs, and landscaping. Water as needed, remove dead branches, and report dead vegetation.
- Removing ash from grills.
- Janitorial duties during high park usage time?
- Report any damage to facilities - broken water fountains, tables, etc.
- Check conditions of amenities, such as ball courts, play equipment, etc. and report damage
- Observe and report suspicious activity
- Be a visible and approachable representative of Chattanooga Parks
To become a Park Steward, please submit an application here. Volunteers will be asked to complete a background check and attend an orientation session.